Thursday, October 18, 2012

GOOGLE READER

 A Convenient Inconvenience


         Lets begin by saying I was a SUPER skeptic about signing up for another service, application, or another freaking email reminder about how to save time and money in your day.

          I am proud to say my curiosity got the best of me. I had to try out this "time" saving RSS junk.
After learning a little bit about it in GBU 310 class I immediately found the RSS links to some of my favorite websites online. As most Americans do on monday nights after a SUPER long day of school and 10 hours of work I watched the Tivo'd football and browsed the internet during commercials. The first commercials came on during the game and instead of browsing 10-15 websites I only had to check my RSS google reader to see all the updates for my favorite sites.

        A big positive about being able to hit all the websites in one swoop has got to be the fact I dont have to spend 2 hours on the computer. I only have to check out one site! Another benefit of RSS feeds is that you can subscribe and unsubscribe willingly and freely. There is very little commitment.

        One of the biggest strengths is also one of my least favorite drawbacks. I am one of those people that likes to finish everything the first day they receive it. Well, if you have 10-20 RSS feeds and they update the websites at the same time, you may just find yourself attempting to read 10-20 websites of new content. The second downside I did not like was the inability to be able to select which sites you wanted to say you have read or have not already viewed. To me it would help alleviate a few of the subscribers issues if they had that feature.

       Overall, I am happy to say using RSS feeds can save you some serious eyestrain, with minimal side-effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment